For International Students

Insurance Requirements

The New Zealand Government’s Code of Practice for Pastoral Care of International Students requires all international students to have appropriate medical and travel insurance during their period of study.

Your travel and medical insurance will be arranged when you enrol in a  programme with Canterbury College. Simply pay your fees, tell us when you will arrive, and we will book your insurance for you.

When you attend one of our international orientations, we will give you information on your insurance policy, including information on coverage, insurance policy number and how to claim.

Why do I need insurance?

You need insurance in case anything goes wrong while you are travelling to or living in New Zealand. This may include losing personal effects or requiring medical care.

Can I purchase my own insurance?

We will arrange Southern Cross International Student Insurance by default.

You can choose to purchase your own when you enrol , but it must cover

(a) the learner ‘s travel :

         i. to and from New Zealand ; and

         ii. within New Zealand ; and

         iii. if the travel is part of the educational instruction, outside New Zealand ; and

(b) medical care in New Zealand , including diagnosis, prescription, surgery, and hospitalisation; and

(c) repatriation or expatriation of the international tertiary learner as a result of serious illness or injury, including cover of travel costs incurred by family members assisting repatriation or expatriation; and

(d) death of the learner, including cover of –

         i. travel costs of family members to and from New Zealand; and

         ii. costs of repatriation or expatriation of the body ; and

         iii. funeral expenses 


What about insurance for my family?

If you are bringing family members with you to New Zealand, you will need to purchase travel and medical insurance coverage for them.

Our admin team can recommend appropriate insurance plan for your family members.